|Image Source: kidneyurology.org|
• Access for Peritoneal Dialysis is through a catheter placed in the abdomen.
• The blood never leaves the body; instead, the lining of the abdomen, which has many tiny blood vessels, acts as a filter in the same as way a dialyzer.
• Most common - done at home, at night, while they sleep, with the use of a cycler machine.
• Can be done by hand, usually with four exchanges of fresh dialysate for used dialysate each day.
• Done 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• Can be done at home, at work, or while traveling.